Mayor Bowser is committed to providing safe streets across the District, and the Zaire Kelly Park Improvement Project is an important part of that commitment.
The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) is responsible for the maintenance and beautification of Zaire Kelly Park, located at 13th Street NE and Downing Street NE. The park is named for Zaire Kelly, a District high school student who was tragically murdered there during an attempted robbery in September 2017. Significant upgrades in and around the park have been made to improve safety in the park and the Brentwood neighborhood.
- New brick walkways
- Removal of hazardous trees
- Bollards and chains outlining the perimeter have been fixed and replaced
- New benches
- Upgraded planting and landscaping
- New trash cans
- Additional and improved lighting
- Planned: Installation of a plaque naming the park in memory of Zaire Kelly – Spring 2020
Traffic Safety Improvements:
- Installation of “No Parking” signs on southside of W St NE to increase pedestrian/vehicular visibility
- Planned: Installation of pavement markings and flexible posts – Spring 2020
Kelly Jeong-Olson, Ward 5 Community Engagement Specialist at [email protected] or 202-727-8503