District Department of Transportation

Traffic Signals

Traffic Signal with two green arrows

You can request traffic signal services by calling the Mayor's Citywide Call Center at 311 or completing a service request online using the District government's Service Request Center. Please identify the specific location of traffic signal (i.e. NE corner, SW corner, etc.) and describe the specific problem, (i.e. flashing, all-out, red out, pedestrian signal out, etc.). A service request will be put into the tracking system, and you should receive a service request number.

Scheduled Response Time

  • All signals out: 2 hours
  • Twisted or turned head: 2 hours
  • Bulb replacement: 24 hours
  • Pedestrian signal out: 24 hours
  • School flasher inoperative: 30 days
  • Signal timing change: 30 days 

*Note: Requests for "new" traffic signals require an investigation, determination, rulemaking and publication in the DC Register (if approved). Funding identification, design, and construction are also necessary. This entire process could take up to 24 months to complete.

Call the Service Request Center at 311 or (202) 727-1000 if the problem hasn't been resolved by the specified time of completion. Reference your service request number.

Learn more about the most recent Barnes Dance Intersection

Service Need

To report a problem with an existing traffic signal or to request the installation of a new signal.

Service at a Glance

Provided By: DDOT
Phone: 311
Location: 55 M Street, SE, Suite 400 Washington, DC 20003

Contact TTY: