The purpose of the Downtown Bike Lane Pilot Project is to improve bicycle safety and access in the downtown area while maintaining the transportation function of downtown Washington. This is particularly important as DDOT expands to a larger, regional, bike sharing system of more than 1,100 bikes by the end of the year. These bike lanes are also included in the Bicycle Master Plan. Bike lanes are important in our objective of expanding transportation choices in the District and the region.
2017 Bike Ways
DDOT has identified approximately seven miles of bicycle lanes that may be installed in 2017. These include extensions of the 1st and M Street, NE, cycle tracks, filling gaps in existing lanes and a neighborhood bikeway in Ward 4.
In addition, we will conduct a study for a potential new north-south cycle track in the eastern downtown area. More streets are being studied and analyzed for the inclusion of bicycle facilities, and not all ongoing bicycle facility development projects are included in this list and map. Therefore, if you don’t see something on the list or map, please contact Mike Goodno with any questions.
Innovative Bike Facilities Research
DDOT has completed the evaluation of the innovative bicycle facilities installed in 2010 on 15th Street, Pennsylvania Avenue, and the intersection at 16th/U/New Hampshire. The study began in May of 2011 and concluded the following spring. The results are being used to make improvements and help with the design of other similar projects, such and the L Street and M Street cycle tracks downtown.
To expand transportation choices in the District of Columbia and the region.
Program at a Glance
Program Title: Bicycle Lanes
Agency: District Department of Transportation
Office: Planning and Sustainability Division (PSD)
Type: Planning and Strategy
Related Fact Sheet
Bike Lane Count Fact Sheet 2011
- M Street Cycle Track - Final Plans - Part 1
- M Street Cycle Track - Final Plans - Part 2
- M Street Cycle Track - 50 Percent Submittal - October 2010
- M Street Existing and Proposed Conditions Matrix
- M Street Bike Lane Fact Sheet
- Two-Stage Turn Queue Box Tutorial - Flyer
- L Street Cycle Track - Final Plans - August 2012
- L Street Protected Bike Lane Project
- L Street Existing and Proposed Conditions Matrix
15th Street NW
- 15th Street NW Separated Bike Lane Pilot Project - August 2010
- 15th Street NW from E St to Euclid St - 100 Percent Submittal - September 2010
- Pennsylvania Avenue Bike Lanes - Revised June 2010
- Downtown Bike Lane Pilot Project - DDOT Letter to TPB - May 2010
G Street NE and I Street NE
Traffic Memorandum and Analysis
- Traffic Memorandum - Pennsylvania Avenue - November 2009
- Traffic Memorandum - L Street - Bike Lane North Side - December 2008
- Traffic Analysis - I Street - L Street - Pennsylvania Avenue, NW