To occupy the District's public space, permit applications should be submitted to DDOT's Permitting Center.
Note: Applicants must visit the second floor to apply for permits. (The Permit Office is on the third floor.)
Hours of operation are between 8:30 am to 4:15 pm, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. On Thursday, the hours are from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Several years ago, DDOT launched an online application called the Transportation Online Permit System (TOPS), which allows users to apply online for public space permits.
Printable copies of the most commonly used applications are also available at Permit Applications for Use in Public Spaces.
Information on Public Space Permits and the Permit Application Process
- Application Submittal Material Specification
- Conditions of Public Space Permits
- Dos and Don’ts of Occupying Public Space During Construction
- Frequently Asked Questions on Permits
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Public Inconvenience Fee
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Steel Plate Fee
- Frequently Asked Questions about TOPS Oversized/Overweight Vehicle Permits
- How to Obtain a Special Tree Permit
- Neighborhood Block Party Permit Requests
- Permit Applications for Use in Public Space
- Pedestrian Safety and Work Zone Standards - Covered and Open Walkways
- Permits and Tags for Oversize and Overweight Vehicle Operation
- Public Space Permit Lookup Tool
- Public Space Permit Fees
- Public Space Permit Fee Calculators
- Types of Permits