The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) will host a public meeting on Monday, May 17, 2021 to discuss the 65-percent design plans for the Florida Avenue-New York Avenue NE Intersection Project. DDOT is redesigning the intersection, often referred to as “Dave Thomas Circle” or the “Virtual Circle,” to make it safer for pedestrians, bicyclists, and drivers in support of Mayor Bowser’s Vision Zero initiative to eliminate serious injuries and fatalities on the District’s roadways. Once complete, the redesigned intersection will:
- Realign and add two-way traffic to First Street, NE;
- Restore two-way traffic on Florida Avenue, NE;
- Add protected bicycle lanes;
- Make other improvements benefitting safety and legibility for all modes of travel; and
- Create three new public park spaces.