Your #1 resource for transportation information & options to make getting into and around the District easier than ever.
The purpose of the Downtown Bike Lane Pilot Project is to improve bicycle safety and access in the downtown area while maintaining the transportation function of downtown Washington. This is particularly important as we expand to a larger, regional, bike sharing system of over 1100 bikes by the end of the year. These bike lanes are also included the Bicycle Master Plan. Bike lanes are an important part of our goal of expanding transportation choices in the District and the region.
2014 Bike Ways
DDOT plans to install approximately 14 miles of bike lanes, 3 miles of shared lanes, and 2 miles of neighborhood bikeways before the end of 2014. This will include a new cycle track on M Street, NW between 14th and 28th Streets. Vist the list and map to view the 2014 planned installations. Please contact Mike Goodno with any questions.
Innovative Bike Facilities Research
DDOT has completed the evaluation of the innovative bicycle facilities installed in 2010 on 15th Street, Pennsylvania Avenue, and the intersection at 16th/U/New Hampshire. The study began in May of 2011 and concluded the following spring. The results are being used to make improvements and help with the design of other similar projects, such and the L Street and M Street cycle tracks downtown.
To expand transportation choices in the District and the region.
Program at a Glance
Program Title: Bicycle Lanes
Agency: District Department of Transportation
Office: Policy, Planning and Sustainability Administration (PPSA)
Type: Planning and Strategy
- M Street Cycle Track - Final Plans - Part 1
- M Street Cycle Track - Final Plans - Part 2
- M Street Cycle Track - 50 Percent Submittal - October 2010
- M Street Existing and Proposed Conditions Matrix
- M Street Bike Lane Fact Sheet
- Two-Stage Turn Queue Box Tutorial - Flyer
- L Street Cycle Track - Final Plans - August 2012
- L Street Protected Bike Lane Project
- L Street Existing and Proposed Conditions Matrix
15th Street, NW
- 15th Street NW Separated Bike Lane Pilot Project - August 2010
- 15th Street NW from E St to Euclid St - 100 Percent Submittal - September 2010
- Pennsylvania Avenue Bike Lanes - Revised June 2010
- Downtown Bike Lane Pilot Project - DDOT Letter to TPB - May 2010
G Street, NE and I Street, NE
Traffic Memorandum and Analysis
- Traffic Memorandum - Pennsylvania Avenue - November 2009
- Traffic Memorandum - L Street - Bike Lane North Side - December 2008
- Traffic Analysis - I Street - L Street - Pennsylvania Avenue, NW