The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) is committed to improving the quality of life in our neighborhoods and addressing traffic-related safety issues throughout the city. In this effort, DDOT has recently updated the traffic calming guidelines to incorporate a greater range of remedies for cut-through and speeding traffic. DDOT’s Transportation Audits utilize a variety of methods to improve safety, including traffic control devices, designs, traffic calming measures, education and enforcement.
Traffic Calming and System Management refers to a balanced operation of the District’s street system - which fosters fluid, safe, and managed movement of traffic flows on the network. In particular, this means developing ways to tame traffic and protect neighborhood quality of life while also maintaining operational efficiency for all modes.
DDOT Offers Several Services aimed at Traffic Calming and System Management:
- Traffic Calming Assessment is an evaluation conducted by DDOT staff that responds directly to targeted citizen concerns regarding traffic speed, volume, and type, as well as behavior such as aggressive driving. A Traffic Calming Assessment is intended to evaluate a focused area with the whole traffic calming tool kit in mind.
- To request a Traffic Calming Assessment, please submit a DDOT Traffic Calming Assessment - Application Petition. Instructions are included in the application.
- The DDOT Traffic Calming Assessment - Process Diagram illustrates the steps.
- Speed Hump Installation: To specifically request the installation of Speed Humps, please submit a Speed Hump Request Form and Petition. Instructions and detailed speed hump guidelines are included in the petition.
- In the near future, DDOT will develop a citywide Traffic Calming Framework Plan for the District. The Plan will create a comprehensive yet flexible policy framework for Traffic Calming efforts throughout the District.
- DDOT will also conduct a series of multi-neighborhood Livability Program Studies over the next several years. Upon completion, every part of the District will have focused, tangible recommendations for more effective traffic calming and system management measures.
Traffic Calming 101
To learn more about some of the Traffic Calming options used around the world, review DDOT's Traffic Calming 101.
To provide the most effective traffic calming solutions to address safety concerns in District neighborhoods.
Service at a Glance
Provided By: DDOT
Phone: (202) 671-2730
Location: 55 M Street, SE, Suite 400 Washington, DC 20003