FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
(Washington, DC)—The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) will temporarily close single lanes, shoulders, and ramps on the following roadways to perform testing and pre-construction activities for the South Capitol Street Corridor Project.
The following single lane and ramp closures will be in place nightly from 9 pm to 5 am, Sunday, March 11, through Friday, March 16, 2018, weather permitting.
- Eastbound Howard Road SE west of I-295
- Southbound I-295 from Howard Road SE to Firth Sterling Avenue SE
- Northbound I-295 from Firth Sterling Avenue to Suitland Parkway
- Eastbound Suitland Parkway on-ramp to northbound I-295. An alternate detour route will be provided.
The following single lane closures will be in place daily from 9:30 am to 3:30 pm, Monday, March 12, through Friday, March 16, 2018, weather permitting.
- Southbound Anacostia Drive SE at South Capitol Street SW
- Eastbound Howard Road SE east of I-295
- Northbound South Capitol Street SE at Suitland Parkway
- Northbound South Capitol Street SE north of Potomac Avenue SE
- Southbound South Capitol Street SW at the intersection of Defense Blvd – LCR 64
- Westbound Firth Sterling Avenue SE at the intersection of South Capitol Street SE – LCR 65
- Eastbound Howard Road SE at Suitland Parkway - LCR 6
These closures are required for pre-construction work associated with the South Capitol Street Corridor Project and the Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge replacement, which calls for the replacement of the 68-year-old bridge and reconstruction of the Suitland Parkway/I-295 interchange.
Motorists are urged to use caution as they travel in these areas, to anticipate moderate delays, and to be mindful construction personnel.
The mission of the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) is to enhance the quality of life for District residents and visitors by ensuring that people, goods, and information move efficiently and safely with minimal adverse impact on residents and the environment. Follow us on Twitter for transportation-related updates and more; like us on Facebook and Instagram. Visit the website at www.ddot.dc.gov. Visit goDCgo.com for more information on transportation options in the District.