In June 2020 Mayor Muriel Bowser announced the first seven locations for the new Slow Streets initiative, which will give residents more space to social distance while moving around outside. The locations are spread across all eight wards of the District.
Slow Streets are restricted to local traffic only and the speed limit is set at 15 miles per hour to support neighborhood-based safe social distancing while walking, running, or cycling. The first seven slow zones will be implemented in the following locations:
- Wards 1 and 2: 19th Street NW (between Dupont Circle and Biltmore Street NW; plus most of Biltmore and Cliffbourne)
- Ward 3: 36th Street NW (between Connecticut Avenue and Reno Avenue/Warren Street NW)
- Ward 4: 8th Street NW (between Piney Branch/Whittier Street NW and Missouri Avenue NW)
- Ward 5: Newton Street NE (between 12th Street NE and South Dakota Avenue
- Ward 6: 12th Street NE, from East Capitol Street to K Street NE
- Ward 7: Grant Street NE (between Minnesota Avenue NE and 46th Street NE)
- Ward 8: 15th St SE (from Mississippi Ave to Savanah St SE) & 15th Pl SE (from Alabama Ave to Bruce Pl SE)
DDOT will install additional Slow Streets throughout the summer. Drivers should only use a designated Slow Street if their destination is within two blocks of that street. Residents, emergency vehicles, deliveries, and trash collection vehicles still have access to Slow Streets. Streets with bus routes are not eligible for a Slow Streets designation.