Washington, DC - The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) announces that Phase 1 of utility relocation work along Massachusetts Avenue and H Street NW, between 2nd Street and 4th Street, is scheduled to begin on or about Monday, June 9, 2014. The related work—which will include the removal, relocation and replacement of existing underground utilities—is expected to last four months, weather permitting.
Construction activities during this phase will occur in two shifts:
• Monday to Friday, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
• Saturday work, scheduled as needed, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Traffic Pattern Shifts: Westbound H Street traffic across Massachusetts Avenue, between 3rd Street and 4th Street, will not be permitted. Travelers attempting to continue westbound on H Street will be directed to continue onto Massachusetts Avenue NW, and turn left on 4th Street NW toward H Street.
Additionally, temporary daytime lane closures can be expected during the day throughout the construction work zone areas. Traffic cones and barrels will be setup as well as flaggers and signage as necessary to redirect traffic around these lane closures.
Nightly Detours: Recurring nightly detours will be required for the closure of various intersections throughout the construction zone, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Traffic control signs will be in place to guide travelers along the corridor and direct traffic to alternative routes when necessary.
Additional changes travelers can expect include the following:
• Recurring nightly detours at various intersections along Massachusetts Avenue and H Street, between 2nd Street and 4th Street NW.
• Installation of temporary traffic barriers and pavement markings along Massachusetts Avenue and H Street, between 2nd Street and 4th Street NW.
• Restricted pedestrian access within the construction work zone (westbound H Street to 3rd Street NW; 4th Street and H Street NW; 4th Street and Massachusetts Avenue NW; Northbound 3rd Street and H Street NW and the north side of Massachusetts Avenue NW between 2nd Street and 4th Street NW).
• Access to the park located between Massachusetts Avenue, 2nd Street and H Street will be maintained during this phase of construction
• The eastbound and westbound Metrobus (the X2 & 80) stops on H Street, between 2nd Street and 3rd Street NW, have been eliminated. For additional information concerning Metrobus routes and schedules, please contact 202-637-7000.
Motorists, pedestrians and cyclists are urged to stay alert and use caution when traveling through the work zone.
Motorists are advised to plan for additional travel time as traffic delays are likely to occur, or use alternative routes to bypass the construction area.
For additional details please contact the Program Manager Ali Shakeri 202-671-4612 or the project’s public outreach office at 202-719-0196.
For more information about the project, please visit the project's website.