Your #1 resource for transportation information & options to make getting into and around the District easier than ever.
Environmental Management System
An Environmental Management System (EMS) is a management system that focuses on incorporating environmental considerations in business practices. In simple terms an EMS is a way of incorporating environmental thinking into an organization's daily activities.
The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) considers itself an active steward of the environment and is committed to environmental excellence. In order to fulfill its responsibilities as a steward of the environment the DDOT leadership decided to develop and implement an Environmental Management System (EMS). EMS development and implementation was started at DDOT to help DDOT in:
- Protecting the environment
- Preventing pollution
- Using resources efficiently
- Improving environmental performance
- Enhancing compliance
- Reducing risks
- Increasing efficiency
- Reducing costs
- Conducting operations in an environmentally sustainable manner
- Enhancing image with public, stakeholders, and other agencies
- Improving employee awareness of environmental issues and responsibilities
- Creating an Environmental Excellence Focused Culture at DDOT
EMS at DDOT has been developed by following the ISO 14001 structure. EMS at DDOT is being implemented in phases. The scope of the first phase of the EMS at DDOT is:
- DDOT Project Development & Review
- Transportation Policy and Planning Administration (TPPA) Office Operations
To be an active steward of the environment with a commitment to environmental excellence.
Program at a Glance
Program Title: Environmental Management System
Type: Planning and Strategy