Your #1 resource for transportation information & options to make getting into and around the District easier than ever.
Proof of Current District of Columbia Residency
You must provide TWO (2) of the documents listed below, to satisfy proof of current DC residency. DMV will NOT accept documents, that are not listed below, to satisfy proof of DC residency.
Source Documents (TWO required) - must be original (which includes computer printouts for online bills) AND contain a valid DC address (P.O. Boxes not acceptable):
- Utility bill (Water, Gas, Electric, Oil, or Cable), with name and address, issued within the last sixty (60) days (disconnect notices/bills not accepted)
- Telephone bill (cell phone, wireless or pager bills acceptable), reflecting applicant's name and current address, issued within the last sixty (60) days (disconnect notices/bills not accepted)
- Deed, mortgage or settlement agreement reflecting applicant's name and property address issued within the last 60 days
- Unexpired lease or rental agreement with the name of the applicant listed as the lessee, permitted resident or renter (may be a photocopy)
- DC Property Tax bill issued within the last twelve (12) months
- Unexpired homeowner's or renter’s insurance policy reflecting name and address
- *Letter with picture from Court Services and Offender Supervision Agency (CSOSA) or DC Department of Corrections (DC DOC) certifying name and DC residency issued within the last sixty (60) days
- DC DMV Proof of Residency Form signed by the person owning the residence AND a copy of this person's unexpired DC driver license or DC identification card AND TWO (2) of the sources listed above (i.e. Utility bill, telephone bill, etc.) in the person owning the residence’s name
- Bank Statement issued within the last sixty (60) days reflecting name and address (only checking and savings accounts; credit card and money market statements not accepted)
- Official Mail – received from a Federal or DC Agency (with full name and address) to include contents and envelope (received within the last sixty (60) days), excluding mail from the DC Department of Motor Vehicles
- *DC DMV Approved Form from Certified Social Service Provider
*May only be used to obtain an Identification Card and does NOT require a second source of residency document
NOTE: Two (2) proof of residency documents are required for all driver license (DL) and identification card (ID) transactions. However, if you are only doing a vehicle transactions (i.e., only obtaining vehicle reciprocity), you are only required to provide one (1) proof of residency document. If you are doing a combined DL/ID AND vehicle transaction at the same time, you are required to provide two (2) proof of residency documents.