Your #1 resource for transportation information & options to make getting into and around the District easier than ever.
Proof of Current District of Columbia Residency
You must provide TWO (2) of the documents listed below, to satisfy proof of current DC residency. DMV will not accept documents that are not listed below, to satisfy proof of DC residency.
Source Documents (TWO required) - must be original (which includes computer printouts for online bills) AND contain a valid DC address (P.O. Boxes not acceptable):
• Utility bill (water, gas, electric, oil, or cable), with name and address, issued within the last 60 days (disconnect notices/bills are not accepted)
• Telephone bill (cell phone, wireless, or pager bills acceptable), reflecting applicant's name and current address, issued within the last 60 days (disconnect notices/bills are not accepted)
• Deed, mortgage, or settlement agreement reflecting applicant's name and property address issued within the last 60 days
• Unexpired lease or rental agreement with the name of the applicant listed as the lessee, permitted resident, or renter (may be a photocopy)
• Unexpired Sublease accompanied by the original unexpired Lease with the name of the certifier as sub-lessor
• DC property tax bill issued within the last 12 months reflecting the applicant's name and property address
• Unexpired homeowner's or renter’s insurance policy reflecting name and address
• **Letter with picture from Court Services and Offender Supervision Agency (CSOSA) or DC Department of Corrections (DC DOC) certifying name and DC residency issued within the last 60 days
• DC DMV Proof of Residency Certification(Only For Residents Under 21 Years Old) signed by the parent/guardian residing at the residence AND a copy of parent/guardian’s unexpired DC driver license or DC identification card AND 2 proof of residency documents (i.e., utility bill, telephone bill, etc.) in the parent/guardian’s name.
• Bank/Credit Card/Investment Account Statement issued within the last 60 days reflecting name and address
• Official Mail—received from ANY government agency(with full name and address) to include contents and envelope received within the last 60 days, excluding mail from DC DMV (Change of Address Notifications from the Postal Service are NOT accepted)
• **DC DMV-approved form from certified social service provider
• Medical Bill issued within the last 60 days reflecting name and address
• Student Loan Statement issued within the last 60 days reflecting name and address
• Home Line of Equity Statement issued within the last 60 days reflecting name and address
• Car/Personal Loan Statement (no coupon books/vouchers accepted) issued within the last 60 days reflecting name and address
• Home Security System Bill issued within the last 60 days reflecting name and address
**May only be used to obtain an Identification Card and does NOT require a second source of residency document
Note: Two (2) proof of residency documents are required for all driver license (DL) and identification card (ID) transactions. However, if you are only doing a vehicle transactions (i.e., only obtaining vehicle reciprocity), you are only required to provide one (1) proof of residency document. If you are doing a combined DL/ID AND vehicle transaction at the same time, you are required to provide two (2) proof of residency documents.
Documents that are altered, counterfeit, torn, laminated, erased, whited out, etc. are not originals and are not accepted by DC DMV.
Contact TTY: 711