The DC Streetcar started passenger service Saturday, February 27, 2016, with the H Street/Benning Road, NE, line. The 2.4-mile DC Streetcar line services eight stops from Union Station to Oklahoma Avenue at RFK Stadium’s parking lot.
- Monday-Thursday: 6 am – midnight
- Friday: 6 am – 2 am
- Saturday: 8 am – 2 am
As of September 18, DC Streetcar will begin Sunday service
- Sunday/Holidays: 8 am – 10 pm
In 2012, former DC Mayor Vincent C. Gray established the Mayor's DC Streetcar Finance and Governance Taskforce to provide guidance and to develop recommendations for the governance and financing of the DC Streetcar system. The task force is focused on advancing the 22-mile Priority Streetcar System through innovative approaches to finance, governance, legislation, and infrastructure.
The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) had released its most recent concept renderings for the Car Barn Training Center to be located at the corner of 26th Street and Benning, adjacent to the campus of Spingarn High School.
These renderings were reviewed by the Commission of Fine Arts in 2013, and were presented to the Historic Preservation Review Board (HPRB) by DDOT.
Just over 50 years after streetcars last operated in the District, their return is now within sight. DDOT is finalizing plans to complete the H Street/Benning Road line, expected to start revenue-service soon.
- Link neighborhoods with a modern, convenient and attractive transportation alternative.
- Provide quality service to attract and reach new transit ridership.
- Offer a broader range of transit options for District residents.
- Reduce short inner-city auto trips, parking demand, traffic congestion and air pollution.
- Encourage economic development and affordable housing options along streetcar corridors.
- In October 2010, DDOT has presented an updated comprehensive DC Streetcar System Plan to the DC Council for review and approval. The document specifies how DDOT plans to complete the two streetcar lines already under construction, the H Street/Benning Rd Line and the Anacostia Initial Line Segment.
- On April 20, 2010, DDOT staff returned to the community to update residents on the overall streetcar program and to present new details about the H Street/Benning Road Initiative.
- DDOT, in partnership with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA), has developed the DC's Transit Future System Plan, Final Report (April 2010)
- In October 2009, the department hosted a series of virtual open houses to provide residents with details about the current construction and the recommendations for future transit improvements.
DDOT has a plan to reestablish streetcar service across the District.
Program at a Glance
Program Title: DC Streetcar
Agency: District Department of Transportation
Office: Progressive Transportation Services Administration (PTSA)
Type: Planning and Strategy
- American Public Transportation Association (APTA) Peer Review June 2015
- DC Streetcar CFA Presentation - February 2013 (DC Car Barn Training Center)
- DC Streetcar Design Presentation - April 2010 (H Street /Benning Road Streetcar Initiative)
- DC Streetcar Program Presentation - April 2010
- DC Transit Future System Plan - Final Report - April 2010
- DC Streetcar Proposed System Plan - Phases
- DC Alternatives Analysis - Final Report
See the YouTube of the 82 Streetcar Line running from Eckington in DC, through Woodridge, Mount Rainier, Brentwood, North Brentwood, Hyattsville, Riverdale Park, College Park and terminating in Branchville.
The 2.4-mile DC Streetcar line services eight stops from Union Station to Oklahoma Avenue at RFK Stadium’s parking lot.