Access the School Transit Subsidy Program by following these simple steps.
Activate Card and Purchase Passes
- After applying online students will receive a Student Transit Subsidy Eligibility Letter which they must print and take along with their DC One Card ID to one of the following Metro Sales offices to activate the card and purchase the fare media: Metro Headquarters, Metro Center, Anacostia Metro, and Northern Bus Garage.
- Activate the card at a Metrorail station Passes & Farecards machine by tapping the DC One Card and pressing “Cancel Transaction”. By activating the card it will be upgraded and enabled to accept the student pass. The card will only need to be activated once.
- To purchase passes show the DC One Card and eligibility letter to the sales clerk at a Metro Sales Office. There are three types of passes available: unlimited monthly, 10 rail rides, or 10 bus rides. After paying the sales clerk the pass will be added to the DC One Card. After payment, students can begin using their DC One Card aboard Metrorail and Metrobus.
- Students are encouraged to register their DC One Card. By doing so a credit can be obtained for a lost or stolen pass. The credit is for an UNUSED portion of a pass. For a monthly pass, students receive a prorated credit from the day they report the card lost or stolen. Students will get a credit for $30 MINUS the number of days in the month already passed. (e.g. report stolen on the 12th, get $18 credit.)
- Register the card at www.smartrip.com and click on Register Your Card.
Renew the Pass
- Follow the printer-friendly instructions from this handout sheet: DC One Card for student travel on Metrorail and Metrobus [PDF].
- Renew the pass before the end of the month, otherwise you will be required to print out the Eligibility Letter again and return to the Metro Sales Office to buy a pass.
- To purchase 10-trip passes or renew an expired monthly pass, print out and bring the Eligibility Letter to the Sales Office each time.